Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Revisionist Pickles

There is a billboard on my way into work. It's near the intersection of Hollywood and Highland, facing toward Franklin, and it's of the new Texas Jalepeno Whopper from Burger King. Don't even get me started on the bizarre decision to market "Texas" to Los Angeles. My point is that every morning I stare at that 3-story burger, and you know what bugs?

The pickles are drawn in.

They clearly went into photoshop and digitally added pickles. I'm guessing that this is because the jalepenos figure prominently into the overall arrangement of the burger and they felt that non-Texans couldn't figure out that that those were the peppers and not just pale pickle slices and would, I guess, get real confused and refuse to buy the burger? I don't know. What I do know is that it looks like someone grabbed a kelly green sharpie and doctored the burger art right before they went to print.

Is there some sort of life lesson in that? Don't try to rewrite history to please what would look right because then you're forgetting that people can spot half-assed Sharpie cover-up when they see it? That sounds good.

No comments: