Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Indie bands are cool, Indie rockumentaries about indie bands are coolest

So, my friends Andrea, Brady, Kurt and Shane worked on this rockumentary called Last Dispatch, and now they're getting to see the fruits of their labor -- or some rock analogy I'm too musically illiterate to know. (Trailer)

Basically, the film is the story of the last concert of the band Dispatch, one of the most successfull un-signed (to a major label) bands of all time. The concert was in Boston summer 2004, they had over 100,000 kids show up. Anyway, it's the lead up to the concert and where these guys are in their careers and relationships with one another.

I got to see it (finally, Andrea) a couple of weeks ago, and as a lot of you already know, I loved it. (Isn't that the hugest relief ever when a friend is working on a project and they ask you to evaluate it? Trust me, it totally is.)

I'd never heard of the band, and I immediately fell in love with them. I can't imagine how satisfying the film would be for people who have heard of them, much less hardcore fans (can you say DVD sales? yeah, all 100,000 of those kids are watching for this DVD to go on sale).

Anyway. I love parenthesies.

But my point is that they're screening Last Dispatch in New York and Chicago in the next couple of weeks. If you're in the area, check it out, it's well worth the price of admission. See screening info below.

And once you do see it, come back and let me know what you thought.

"LAST DISPATCH" SCREENING DATES:
New York City
APRIL 21-27, 2006
The Village East Cinemas
181 Second Ave. (at 12th Street)
Ph: (212) 529-6998
(Weeklong engagement)

Chicago
APRIL 28, 2006
Park West Theater
8pm
(One show)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are strange,,, but I love you anyway (so much!)