Thursday, April 06, 2006

I'm off-book! ... sort of

Okay. Let's see if I can get this from memory:

I don't know anything about love. I don't want to know anything. I hate love. [Can you believe that's my first line?!]

It's what you asked me when you were on leave a year ago, isn't it? [Oops, the line's "It's what you asked a year ago when you were on leave, isn't it?" Damnit.]

I can't marry anyone, Peter. I've got to stay at home. Father needs me.

He needs me more! I'm sorry, Peter.

I know it's what girls always say in books, but, I do love you as a brother, Peter. I wouldn't lose you as a brother for anything. We've been like that ever since we were little and started playing together, you and Orin and Hazel and I. So please don't let this come between us. [I always leave the "ever" out of this speech.]

Don't be stupid, Peter.

Do you think I care about that -- that --

Folks say more than their prayers. [I have know idea what this means, and hold no hope that I will be able to in any way sell it.]

No one around here, that's sure. He comes from out west. Grandfather Hamel happened to meet him in NY, and took a fancy to him. And Mother met him at Grandfather's house. [Rarely remember the "happened" here.]

I don't know as much about him as you think. Oh, he did tell me the story of his life to make himself out romantic, but I didn't pay much attention. He went to sea when he was young, and was in California for the Gold Rush. He's sailed all over the world. He's lived on a South Sea island once, so he says. [This speech KICKS MY ASS. This is the first time I've screwed up the very simple first sentence. It's supposed to be "I don't know much about him in spite of what you think. Great. New places to screw up. I always get stuck at "He went to sea... ]

That's his job -- being romantic. [My favorite line.] But I don't want to talk anymore about him.

No comments: