Friday, June 30, 2006

I'm not getting rid of the Anne Lamott

So things are progressing with the big move. One week from today I will be, let's see... somewhere near Flagstaff. Then I'll be in Lubbock for the weekend. Then it's Austin.

Over the next week I'll be packing, weeding out everything I don't need and just generally freaking out.

In addition to the general, non-specific freak-out are the major things that keep going wrong. To wit: Leander had to take an emergency trip to the vet; I got really bad food poisoning Monday night; one of my school loans is experiencing some really fun upheaval that I won't get into but which is biting me in the ass; and I have to sort my books.

I know this last one doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is, my friend. It is. I'm a writer, damnit. And I should not be asked to have to ever let go of a book that has in any way, shape or form contributed to my craft, my world view, or most importantly, my sense of humor. Nevertheless, right now my requirement is that I must have picked it up to reread it or reference it in some way within the last two years, otherwise it goes. So, that's been quite a few of them, because John Grisham has written some stinkers, and I don't absolutely have to have that book on interviewing that I loved in college. But, that's actually been one of the many, many things rotating through my mind as I try to fall asleep at night. Should I get rid of these things? If they've shaped me in any way, shouldn't I hold on to them?

But today I realized what I need to be appreciating about this move: the ability to cleanse, and through that the ability to be the woman who I really want to be. By going to live in this town that I've always considered home, I'm being a more honest representation of myself. And this small thing -- only keeping the books that I really need and use -- there's something very honest about that, something much closer to what that happy Austinite looks like.

Still. I do think I'll hold onto Creative Interviewing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your ads are for finding a perfect lover and finding union with God.