Monday, December 19, 2005

Mourning John Spencer

The actor who plays Leo McGarry on TWW died Friday of a heart attack. NY Times has an obituary here. LA Times here.

These comments sum him and his effect on others the best, I think:

He was "one of those rare combinations of divinely gifted and incredibly generous," said Richard Schiff, who plays Toby Ziegler on the NBC series. "There are very few personal treasures that you put in your knapsack to carry with you for the rest of your life, and he's one of those," Schiff said.

"He was my brother; that is the most I can say," said Martin Sheen, who plays the president, when reached at home yesterday. "I just adored him. It's too big a hole."

When the cast of The West Wing received an ensemble award from the Screen Actors Guild in 2002, Spencer praised his colleagues at the ceremony. "I'm always better depending on who I'm dancing with," he said, "and these are the best partners I've ever had."

No comments: